At Harris Primary Academy Orpington, we teach maths through the new national curriculum which is broken down into the following strands:
- Number - number and place value
- Number - addition and subtraction
- Number - multiplication and division
- Number - fractions (including decimals and percentages)
- Geometry - properties of shapes
- Geometry - position and direction
- Ratio and proportion
In maths, we challenge children to think for themselves through investigations. We also allow children to apply their skills in different contexts in order to help them become numerate in all areas.
This year we are introducing two new Maths programs to the school; Maths-No Problem! (run for KS2). This program is written by Singapore Maths, a company that takes the way mathematics are taught in Singapore (one of the world leaders in teaching maths) and adapts this specifically to meet the needs of the English National Curriculum.
Please see the videos below to find out more about the programs.