Children and teachers at Harris Primary Academy Orpington are celebrating after being judged ‘Good’ by Ofsted in their first inspection since joining the Harris Federation in 2016.
Ofsted inspectors praised the school’s transformation over the past three years, from being previously judged as ‘Requires Improvement’ under the predecessor school to becoming ‘Good’ across all inspected categories.
The report says that the strong leadership at the school has been instrumental to its success. It says that the school’s leaders, including governors, ‘refuse to accept second best’ for pupils.
Other notable comments from the report include:
· ‘Pupils behave well in lessons and around the school. Their behaviour and attitudes to learning reflect the values of the school’
· ‘Pupils are safe. Staff care for pupils. Adults respond well to pupils’ welfare needs and ensure that pupils are well looked after’
· ‘Pupils from early years to Year 6, including disadvantaged pupils and those with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND), are achieving well’
· ‘Leaders monitor pupils’ progress in reading, writing and mathematics routinely, so they can quickly support those pupils who need to catch up’
· ‘The curriculum is broad and balanced’
· ‘The family support officer is instrumental in providing tailored support for pupils’ emotional needs’
· ‘Leaders are knowledgeable about the range of pupils’ needs’
· ‘Staff are proud to work at the school’
Matt Britt, Executive Principal of Harris Primary Academy Orpington, said:
“I am sure everyone will be delighted to read the Ofsted report and to know that this community is served by a good school, reflecting the huge improvements made since the Harris Federation took over the predecessor school, which required improvement. Our school has a vibrant curriculum and dedicated and talented staff. The report reflects the hard work of our pupils, parents, staff and governors.
“I became a teacher in order to play a part in helping children from all backgrounds achieve their best. It is therefore heartening that Ofsted have recognised that pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds, and those with special educational needs, are thriving at our academy.”
Parent View: https://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/
Performance Tables: HPAO Performance Table