At Harris Primary Academy Orpington, we teach maths through the new national curriculum which is broken down into the following strands:
- Number - number and place value
- Number - addition and subtraction
- Number - multiplication and division
- Number - fractions (including decimals and percentages)
- Geometry - properties of shapes
- Geometry - position and direction
- Ratio and proportion
We value and encourage deep mathematical conceptual understanding which can been seen in our maths curriculum. We use appoaches in Maths Mastery to support children with their calculation skills.
Is gradual and cumulative
Teaches high expectations where all achieve
Promotes deep, mathematical understanding over and above getting the right answer.
All children are challenged everyday.
Moves from concrete to pictoral to abstract.
For children that reqire taregtted support we have a variety of interventions. We run workshops for parents about our approach to Maths Mastery.